What are your summer vacation plans? If you are planning on traveling with your pet you will likely need a pet health certificate. Never heard of a health certificate for your pet before? Not sure if you need one? Brownsville Spay Neuter will go over in detail what you need to know about pet health certificates.

Many states require an up-to-date Certificate of Veterinary Inspection from a licensed, accredited veterinarian when traveling. Your pet must be examined by a veterinarian in order for a health certificate to be issued.


This certificate basically indicates your pet is healthy to travel and is not showing signs of a disease that could be passed to other animals or to people. Certain vaccinations must be up to date for a health certificate to be issued. As part of the exam, your veterinarian may check for heartworm disease and prescribe heartworm preventative medication.


When you return home, your veterinarian may recommend a follow-up examination to make sure that your pet did not pick up any diseases or parasites while traveling.

Travel with your pet state to state (Interstate)

To learn the requirements for moving your pet from your current location to another U.S. state, please CLICK HERE select your destination state.

Subscribe to our newsletter

We send e-mails once a month, we never send Spam!